Hey guys! Do y’all still love me? Are you mad at me for my absence? I apologize. I really do. I actually have stuff to tell you about work and I have 2 drafts sitting in my box but I just always get lazy and stop. They’ll get published sometime soon though. I love you guys!
So, if you’re a regular reader you might remember a post where I talked about wanting to cook more new stuff, not just the regular Nigerian dishes we cook as Nigerians and I’ve been doing that! I’ve been eating really clean and healthy and I love it. Clean eating is basically just cutting out white sugar, white flour, chemically enhanced foods, processed foods, artificial ingredients and so on. Now, I’ve long since embraced my sweet tooth so I still indulge in a few things ever so often, but overall my diet has been great and I’ve had a chance to cook a lot of new stuff.
Through this process I realized I really enjoy taking pictures of food. Almost more than I like taking pictures of myself! Imagine! I’ll usually cook 2 dishes every week and I post pictures on instagram: mz_t. A friend of mine asked me to post recipes on here so she can start cooking and eating better too. I’m a big advocate for everyone being healthy so I was like sure! Why not? Now I get most of my recipes from food blogs – I’ve become a food blog troll – when it’s a recipe like that I’ll most likely just post a picture on here with the link to the recipe as opposed to writing it all out, and if I make any changes to the recipe I’ll make a note of that. When it’s a recipe from my cook book [FYI – I’m currently accepting cookbook gifts :)], I’ll write it out.
So… Here goes the first recipe!
2 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp chilli pepper
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1tbsp Lime juice.
- Prepare ingredients by cutting up tomatoes, pepper, garlic and spinach, set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions without oil or salt.
- While pasta cooks, heat olive oil in a large pot. Add tomatoes and 1 maggi cube, cook for about 3 minutes till tomato skins start to wrinkle.
- Add in garlic and cook for 1 minute
- Add beans, pepper and spinach, cook until spinach begins to wilt.
- Stir in pasta and maggi cube, cover and allow to simmer for about 5minutes.
- While pasta is simmering, cook corn according to your preference (microwave or boiling water).
- While corn is cooking, place butter and peppers in a microwave safe dish and warm till butter melts, stir in lime juice.
- Once corn is done cooking, brush butter mixture on the corn.
- Serve pasta and corn, sprinkle Parmesan cheese on pasta.
The original recipe doesn’t call for maggi cubes but, I cook everything with maggi so, feel free to skip that if you really want to reduce salt content, I just don’t like bland food. The original recipe also called for lime rind but I wasn’t in the mood for extra work so I just squeezed out the juice. I made this last night and I’m writing this post at work and I’m surprised that I remember every detail seeing as I was watching Mad Men while I was cooking and so it took me like 3 times longer than it should have to make. Heehee.
If you’re wondering where the meat or fish is, like the typical African that you are (:p) the kidney beans are an excellent source of protein to balance out this meal. This also serves 4 (I’m too busy to cook daily so I don’t cook single servings.) if you want 2 servings just split the ingredients in half. Contrary to popular belief, a serving of pasta is really about the size of a fist (1 cup) it might not look like a lot but once you’re done eating and drinking a big cup of water, you should be fine.
If anyone has a particular recipe you want me to try out first, leave a comment, send an email, if it looks healthy, I’ll be happy to oblige.
Love me again!